San Diego Children’s Discovery Museum (SDCDM) is holding its 1st Annual Health & Wellness Week Sept. 19-23. Each day will offer check-ups and workshops around a different theme with local health and wellness organizations onsite at the Museum to provide services.
SDCDM is very excited about this special event and the opportunity to engage with our community partners to provide health and wellness resources to Museum visitors and the community at large. In April, SDCDM became a recognized partner of Live Well San Diego, the County of San Diego’s vision to bring together community partners, individuals and families to help improve the lives of residents in the region.
SDCDM believes this collective impact approach can lead to concrete changes, and having a facility that provides affordable early childhood educational resources to families allows SDCDM to be a community anchor and a one-stop-shop for valuable resources for children and families.
Workshops vary each day and include a variety of topics and activities such as: Ages & Stages questionnaires, presentations on Infant & Toddler Nutrition, Healthy Eating workshops with food tasting, Caregiver & Me Fitness classes, presentations on home, bike, and child passenger safety, vision screenings, blood pressure checks, mobile dental services, dental workshops, yoga, meditation, and presentations on good sleep. Each day will also have themed story times and crafts for the kids.
All workshops and check-ups are FREE with Museum admission. All workshop and check-up participants will also receive one opportunity drawing ticket for each workshop or organization’s table that they visit throughout the week. Three raffle winners will be chosen at the end of the week and contacted via email. Prizes are 1) SDCDM Facility Rental- $950 value 2) SDCDM Birthday Party- $450 value 3) Family Membership- $95 value.
Health & Wellness Program Schedule
Monday, September 19 – Developmental Stages
- Participating partners:CalFresh program, County of San Diego Health & Human Services Agency, Palomar Health Healthy Development Services, and WIC North County.
Tuesday, September 20 – Nutrition & Fitness
- Participating partners: North County Health Services, CalFresh program, Escondido Union School District’s Student Wellness , Georgia’s School of Dance, and Super Soccer Stars.
Wednesday, September 21 – Safety
- Participating partners: Escondido Police Department, Safe Kids San Diego, CalFresh program, County of San Diego Health & Human Services Agency, and Safe Kids San Diego.
Thursday, September 22 – Vision, Dental, Hearing
- Participating partners: CalFresh program, Daniel and Davis Optometry, Audiologist Dr. Pamela Best, North County Health Services, and The Super Dentists.
Friday, September 23 – Mindfulness / Wellness
- Participating partners: CalFresh program, Escondido Union School District’s Student Wellness, Plant Powered Kids, County of San Diego’s Health & Human Services Agency,Sean O’Shea Foundation.
For the complete listing of SDCDM Health & Wellness Week activities, visit:http://sdcdm.org/sdcdm-health-wellness-week.